Thursday, August 11, 2011

back to school..

The day after class was over I felt like I was going crazy, with nothing to do.. you would think that I would be enjoying so much free time, but I think everybody knows that I don't work like that, ha ha. I love to relax, but just knowing that I had no idea what was to come after my class made me pretty anxious! 1) I needed to find a job (someway, somehow), because the amount of money that I have left in my account won't last me very long; living in a city like Oslo is EXPENSIVE. 2) I needed to figure out whether I should start taking another Norwegian course and 3) I needed to figure out what kind of visa to apply for, before the end of September, so that I could stay in the country. I did take advantage of catching up on some sleep though, but over the last week or so I have felt pretty tired and not as motivated.. but I have managed to go to the gym though at least every other day!

When my class ended, I started making a list of places that I could go in-person, e-mail, or call, to ask about work.. but realized soon after that I was going about it the wrong way! At the beginning of the week Anders and I went into the police station in Sandvika, to speak with someone in the immigration office to help us out with all of our un-answered questions that we had. Here is where I found out that I wasn't able to work at just "any" place (ex: a restaurant) and pretty much all the places I had been looking into were restaurants; most US chains, like Hard Rock Cafe (where a lot of Americans tend to work here in Oslo). Apparently, I am technically classified as a "skilled worker", because I have a Bachelors degree, which means that if I want to work here in Norway, I have to find a job that pertains to/similar to what I went to school for. This is a problem though, because not only is my degree not really recognized here in Norway, but most jobs that I could find that do relate to it, I would need to speak Norwegian.

The person whom we talked to at the police station said that if my sole intentions were to just work now, then I would need to get a "job offer" from a place, such as what I decribed above. If this was to happen then I would be able to obtain a work permit and work full-time if I desired. Since this option is kind of out of the question right now, I needed to figure out something else.. we found out that I could obtain a residence permit for 1 year, or 2, if my sole intentions were to study Norwegian and try to make my degree more recognized in Norway, by taking more classes or gaining work experience. This was all news to my ears, but it was definitely GREAT news!!! I decided to go this route.

I am now signed up for 2 more months of Norwegian class, beginning on August 22nd. It is not through the University of Oslo though, but at the adult learning center of Bærum, in Sandvika, called Voksenopplæring. The class runs through mid-October and is 20 hours a week (4 hours/day M-F). When this is over, I will sign up for another class which will run up until Christmas time. It is going to be A LOT of hard work and practically a part-time job within itself, but I don't think it'll be as intensive as the course that I just took at UiO (we'll see). There are 3 levels of Norwegian offered at this school and 3 different "tracks" in each level, or intensity and speed of the course. I was placed in the 2nd level, in track 3, which is very good for only taking 6 weeks of Norwegian! I had to take a test, which took me about an hour, to decide which level they were going to place me in. They said that I technically could have started half way through level 2, but I am glad that I am starting at the beginning of the level, because there's a lot that I learned from my past course that still needs to sink in.

Last week I e-mailed Oslo International School to see if they were hiring in their after-school program, or other areas within their school. I just heard back today that they were transferring my e-mail to the correct people and if I hear back within the next couple weeks, then I will go in for an interview and see what's up!! This would be really nice, because not only would I be able to work with kids, probably use some of my outdoor skills, but I will be able to speak English, because it's an international school! I won't get my hopes up though, but I do have my fingers crossed, of course!!

Today Anders and I went to Norway's largest amusement park, called Tusenfryd. It is not large, compared to America's standards, but it was fun! I have never been a huge fan of rollercoasters or gut-wrenching rides, but I did go on one rollercoaster, at least!! Anders went on two and also this ride called Spin Spider. It is probably the most disgusting ride I have EVER seen and it made me so nervous just watching it! Take a look:






Poor guy went all by himself.. sorry!



Tomorrow I will be finally getting my hair cut; it is much needed! I dyed it a few days ago, on a whim, so now my hair is a few shades lighter! I was trying to go for dirty blond (don't ask why), but it didn't really turn out like that.. I think I'm glad it didn't though. The cost of getting just a trim here is crazy. I will pay around 400 kroner, which is about $70!!! It's outrageous, but I need to stop comparing costs to the US, because I'm always going to end up disappointed, ha ha. It is, what it is, right!? Once I get a job, I don't think I'll worry so much about the higher prices here..


My attempt to go "dirty blond" = fail.

More great news: it's looking like Anders and I will be able to get an apartment a lot sooner than we ever could have imagined! Reason being, is that Anders' father offered to pay our security deposit, which would have taken us months to save for, so if all goes well, then we hope to find a place before it starts getting really cold and before the snow comes! Wahooo :) It's also looking like I will be able to come home in January, like I wanted! I still need to look further into this (it all depends how long it takes for my permit to process, once I apply), but that would be awesome!

So, now I only have one more week of relaxation, before I start my class! Anders starts work the week after, on the 29th. We are planning on staying a few nights at his cabin in the mountains, in Trysil, which is a few hours north of here. We are going with his father, uncle and cousin! The cabin is pretty small, has no water, and no electricity, but it is cozy. It should be a fun experience!! We will be able to do a lot of fishing, exploring, and hiking. Here are two different shots of the cabin that Anders took last summer..





Well, I think I covered everything.. for now. It's getting late here, so I am off to bed! God natt alle sammen! (Goodnight everybody!) <3

~"If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking."~

No comments:

Post a Comment