Sorry that I don't update this very much so often. To tell you the truth, I finally can say that I've settled in here, so not many things have been changing all that recently... it feels so great to come back to my own apartment after school and now work also and feel "at home." There are a lot of things that I would like to do and get for the apartment in the future though, but what we have now is more than good enough! I'm content.
It's starting to get pretty cold here now... still hasn't snowed yet, but temperatures have dropped to freezing point, so everyday I wake up and look out the window to see if there's snow on the ground. We do have a thin sheet of frost though on the ground that lasts throughout the day, because the temperature is pretty consistent all day. It's pretty bitter too and I'm afraid that I might not have the best clothing, gear to last me the through the winter comfortably, ha ha! But, seriously. You would think that I would be used to this kind of weather, growing up in NH, but I've become almost a little bitter towards it myself. I wish I just lived somewhere warm, to be completely honest... with palm trees! Maybe some day ;)
I have been working a few days a week now, which is so great. They try to have me work as close to 20 hours/week as possible, but I'll take what I can get!! I still have A LOT to learn about flowers and the products in the store, but I feel more confident now when I'm behind the cash register and when costumers approach me. If I don't understand what a costumer is saying, I direct them to someone else, or if no one is around just kindly explain that I don't understand and I switch over to English. Everyone speaks English so I am able to continue to help them, but most people either seem confused that I switch languages. Some are really great and friendly about it, but I've had a handful of costumers that weren't too happy and rude, actually. I had a man come in and kind of threaten me a little bit saying that he should have known not to speak Norwegian to me and that if I wanted to speak English then I should just go back home to US, because I don't belong here in Norway. Harsh. I try not to take it personally though, but it's hard.
I still have not been allowed to get paid yet either, because I'm waiting for my social security number to come in (as I mentioned in a previous post). Once that number comes in (which I'm assuming will be by mail), then I will need to get a tax-card, open a bank account and THEN be allowed to get paid for all the hours that I've worked! December is just around the corner so I'm really hoping all will fall into place before I go back to the US so that I can have some money to spend! I also need my social security number so that I can finally send my NEC diploma and transcript to NOKUT (an organization that will certify/verify my education from the US and how it is equivalent to a degree here in Europe). Again, patience is something that one cannot live without here in Norway...
I'm not trucking away through my Norwegian class... at this point in time I definitely feel comfortable saying that I feel more confident speaking and understanding Norwegian. But of course I still have a very long road to travel, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that I will reach it someday. I actually applied and got accepted into a new Norwegian course that I will take after the holidays when I return to Norway. It's called "barnehage praksiskurs" which is a combination of Norwegian class and internship in a kindergarten too! It's a 6 month program and is pretty intensive. The school days are longer and there is more emphasis on not speaking your mother-tongue. The first 6 weeks of the program I will attend school, just like I've been doing Monday through Friday, but it will be 8:30am - 1:50pm ever day. After those 6 weeks of being in the classroom I will have 2 weeks were I get to intern in a kindergarten full-time (and for free obviously). The last 16 weeks of the program consist of attending Norwegian class 3 days a week and then going back to the kindergarten 2 days a week. I believe that this program is an incredible opportunity and idea for immigrants trying to perfect their Norwegian, learn about the Norwegian work environment and beginning to network with people. I chose the kindergarten program, because obviously I want to work with kids someday! It's going to be a great stepping stone for me and I really look forward to it! By the time summer comes I will definitely be on the way to becoming bilingual. I met with the coordinator of the program so that she can learn a little about myself so that she can place me in a kindergarten that she thinks will fit. I'm pretty sure that I will be set up with one that emphasizes being outside, which will be a lot of fun, definitely when spring rolls around. Learning Norwegian from kids will be fun and an interesting experience!
When I mentioned before that I had applied to the Universitet i Oslo, I had meant that I was still collecting the documents that I had to send to them to complete the application process. I've had a few struggles so far with them and trying to receive paperwork from the schools that I attended in the US, but I'm working on it. It's a little stressful because the deadline for international students is December 1st and that's not so far off! I have my fingers crossed that all the documents that I need will all be collected and delivered to UiO by then. Because if they aren't, then they won't even look at my application.
My dreams and wishes of getting a kitten this winter may have to wait, unfortunately. Although I always think in the back of my mind if Anders may be clever enough to surprise me with a bundle of joy when I return to Norway from the holidays ;) Ha ha, who knows, he always has a trick or two up his sleeve!
P.S. I cannot believe that I'm not going to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner this year!!! It's a huge bummer, because it's one of the holidays that I look forward to every year. Everyone knows how much I love food and I absolutely LOVE turkey dinner; it's the best. I wanted to try to make a turkey here too and cook a little, but don't know how realistic it'll be, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. If I don't write again before, Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Eat an extra plate for me :P
No comments:
Post a Comment