I have so many aspirations and things I want to do and places I want to go.. you could say that I'm kind of impatient ha ha, as most of you all know. But, I have also learned by living here in Norway that all things take time and patience can be a virtue! I know that in good time I will be able to travel where I wish and do more things, but first things first: I need to learn Norwegian, get my Masters and become economically stable enough to fulfill all my wishes. Now that I'm studying in the fall, we won't be able to travel somewhere for very long, but maybe Anders and I will try to take a long weekend somewhere before my classes start! We're going to try to take a trip to a city called Stavanger, which is on the west coast of Norway. They have endless hiking and outdoors possibilities.. but the one thing I want to do is to hike a trail that leads to a place called 'Preikestolen' which directly translated means 'Preacher's Rock.' It takes a few hours to hike up and then you get to take in a fantastic view over the fjord. I posted a couple pictures below that I found online. Norway is such a beautiful country.. I want to travel around Norway just as much as I want to travel around Europe! But, all in good time ;)
I have been pretty busy these days with school and work. I'm working more than usual, which I can't complain, almost the most hours that I'm allowed to every week (which is 20). It's exhausting though! I look forward for school to be over at the end of June and specifically for my test to be taken and done with so I don't have to carry with me any added stress! I really hope that I pass the test(s).. everyone (teachers, friends, etc.) believe that I can pass it, so I think I need to have more confidence that I can too! Some random, but relevant news: a couple weeks ago I received 2 job offers in only a 2-day span!! The leader of the kindergarten where I have my internship now, called me and asked if I was interested in working full-time as a substitute in another kindergarten where she is in charge of! My first reaction was obviously 'YES!', but that's when things are tricky and out of my hands.. I'm only allowed to work 20/week, because of the specific visa that I'm on now. The only way that I would have been able to take the job is if I had been offered a full-time job; not just for 2 months. Do you know what I mean? But that wouldn't have worked anyways, because now I have decided to take my Masters in the fall. The other job offer was in an outdoor kindergarten that I applied to back during Easter vacation and an employee called me and asked me to come into an interview.. although it was great news to hear, I told them that I am going to start studying again in the fall so I couldn't consider taking the position, unfortunately. What great steps though! I know that I'm making the right decisions by going back to school. Things will only be better off for me (job placement, income, etc.) after I complete just 2 more years at school.. my Norwegian will continue to get better and better too, because I'm constantly learning new things every day! It doesn't matter that the program is taught in English, because I've already given myself a good foundation.
Next week I'll be celebrating my 23rd birthday and the day before celebrating Norway's national day, like our 4th of July! It's on May 17, the day before my birthday. There is a huge parade on the main street in Oslo and everyone walks down Karl Johan gate (the main street) with Norwegian flags and dressed in nice clothes or some with their national costumes! There are TONS of people! Everyone walks down to the palace to wave to the King and royal family who will be standing on the balcony. Everyone eats ice cream and hotdogs and just enjoy themselves! It should end up being a great day! Hoping for good weather! Anders and I will be going downtown with a huge group of friends.. it should be a lot of fun. Here a couple pictures of how they celebrate their national day here that I found online also!
I've been a little homesick lately, so I really look forward to coming home again at the end of July!! I feel like I don't have very many friends here that I can confide in about anything.. which is probably normal, because I've only been here for a year and I didn't grow up with people here, like I did with my friends back home! It's hard sometimes though and I feel lonely every now and then, but I have to trust and believe that the quote is true..




No comments:
Post a Comment