Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Norwegian overload!!

These last few days from the minute I've woken up, to the time I go to bed, feels like one big Norwegian lesson.. I haven't been able to come up for air! I've learned so much Norwegian within the last few days than most people probably learn over a longer period of the time. No wonder the class was labeled "Intensive." I walked into my first day of class thinking that I was in the wrong class when my teacher didn't speak a word of English and handed me a syllabus, all in Norwegian. I don't think she said a complete sentence in English the entire class!! I was a little overwhelmed, but if I've learned so much in the last few days, I wonder how much I'll have learnt after the 6 weeks is over!?

The first day, in a nutshell, we learned how to present and introduce ourselves..

For example:
Hva heter du? = What is your name?
Jeg heter Heather. = My name is Heather.
Hvor kommer du fra? = Where are you from?
Jeg kommer fra USA. = I am from the US.

The second day we learned nationalities and how to pronounce countries while today, the third day, we started learning different things in the kitchen as well as family vocabulary. These are just a FEW of the things that I've learned.. I've also learned some grammar and have been able to finally string some sentences together :) I haven't really talked much to the other students in clas, besides a couple girls whom I sit with everyday. One girl is from Columbia, while the other is from Ukraine. We have our first test this Friday.. I'm a little nervous.

Yesterday I picked up some information on how to apply as an international student to the University of Oslo, where my summer school in taken place, for Master's programs next fall. And, today at school I was able to sign up for a weekend excursion which was included in my tuition cost. I will be going to Jotunheimen to hike the most popular hiking trail in Norway over Besseggen mountain and also go on a reindeer safari! Put this URL in the browser if you want to learn more about it --> http://www.summerschool.uio.no/students/exdetails/hike.html

I tried going for a run yesterday, for the first time in a long while and I did ok.. wish I had a knee brace though! I ran on and off for about 45 minutes, because I got lost!! I'm pretty sore today, but will probably try again tomorrow, I think. Just got home from a soccer game in Oslo and should probably get some homework in before I go to bed.. it's midnight now and I need to get up in 8 hours for school! Oh--this morning I took the bus and subway all by myself to school!! I'm becoming somewhat of a city girl now.. "Who would have thunk it!?"

As they would say in Norwegian.. god natt! Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment