As many of you have been asking lately too, "How's the kindergarten?" I'm actually pretty satisfied so far with it. The employees that I work with are very impressed with my Norwegian and say that I shouldn't have to worry. Tomorrow will be only my third day there too! I was pretty nervous Monday when I went in for the first time, without ANY idea of what to expect... I was more observant than anything and trying to learn the kids names. We went on a skiing trip with the kids, which was interesting to say the least, especially on my part. I just starting beginning to learn how to cross country ski and before yesterday I had only been 3 times with Anders before. I had no idea either that we were supposed to go skiing either so I had to borrow one of the employees who is a man much taller than me and with a larger shoe size. Not only am I not even comfortable on my OWN skiis, you could probably imagine how I was feeling ha ha. It didn't surprise me that all the kids (4-6 year olds) flew down the steep slops with no fear and care in the world though. I was actually intimidated by them! There is a saying here in Norway that Norwegians "bli født med ski på beina" which means that they are all born with skis on their feet, and I could see why! It's nothing like snowboarding and probably even more intimidating for me because of my operation that I had on my knee. I fell pretty hard once right on my hurt knee at an awkward angel, but I was happy that it just left a bruise. It was probably the first hard fall I've had on my knee since I hurt it... ever since I torn my ACL and meniscus back in November 2010 and then having surgery in December 2010, the last year has been filled with intensive recovery, cautiousness and paranoia. It took everything I had to swallow my nervousness and I did manage to go down one of the bigger hills, but I had my brakes on the entire way ;) But, you have to start somewhere, right!? Just like learning any new sport though, it takes a lot of practice, especially to build up self-confidence, so I'm hoping by the winters end that I will begin feeling more like a Norwegian at last!
Today we were preparing for the 'Carnival' that we are going to have on Friday. The theme is 'jungle' so we all have to dress up as a jungle animal on Friday, which should be pretty funny. I've already decided on going as a cheetah, because I have plenty of clothing options with cheetah pattern to choose from ha ha. We did a lot of drawing, coloring and cutting out things that will be hung all over the kindergarten. Tomorrow we are taking the kids to the snowboarding world championships which are going to be held right in Oslo, which is pretty cool! We'll be watching some of the preliminaries for the championship which will be held over the weekend. So, we have a lot of fun things planned this week and I have learned that they always have different events planned to make every week different from the last. I am very happy in my 'praksis' placing! I look forward to the next 5 months working there.
Here are some pictures from the area where Anders and I, as well as the kindergarten, went skiing:
Famous ski jump in Oslo: Holmenkollen
The sun beginning to set at Holmenkollen
Us :)
Beautiful view over Oslo
Sunset waiting for the subway home with Anders after our ski trip Sunday
P.S. Happy Valentine's Day everybody <3
No comments:
Post a Comment