Sunday, July 17, 2011

the long weekend has ended.

It was very nice to have a 4-day weekend off from Norwegian class.. Thursday-Sunday. Ever since I started class, I've felt like I have been a little sleep deprived and every one of the 4 days I have slept in, sometimes until after 1pm!!! I don't remember the last time I have ever done that, but I guess it was definitely needed. Now tomorrow I will need to be up again by 8am so that I can catch the bus to class.

On Wednesday I still ended up going to Vigeland Park (the one with the sculptures) and just laid out in the sun.. it was really nice!! Right before that we had our mid-term for class, which we will find out tomorrow how we did on! On Thursday, while Anders went golfing and to a soccer match, with some of his guy friends, I met up with my Columbian friend, Ana Maria, at a park nearby where she lives. It was also really nice and was right by the river. There we sun bathed, met a couple of her friends and BBQed right in the park! That seems to be a favorite pastime of Norwegians in the summertime.. buying a disposable grill and throwing some hot dogs on it! It has also become a favorite thing of mine to do too.

The culture here is sooo different.. everyone, for the most part, are more laid-back and tend to mind their own businesses more. Right when we were in the park you can see people changing from or into their bathing suits, right in clear view of everyone else (holding a towel up of course though). If an American was to do that on the beach in the US, they would get in trouble for indecent exposure. Some people even sun bathe topless too (the older crowd mostly). Here is a picture of yet another waterfall; one that was near the park where we were:



Later that night we went out for a few drinks and my Ukrainian friend Julia and Anders met up with us. People here don't "go out" until really after midnight so we didn't see many people out. Anders and I left around midnight so we could catch the last bus back to Rykkinn. There is a late bus that runs on Fridays and Saturdays, starting after 2:30am, for people to get home from the bars and clubs. On Friday the whole family (Anders, his brothers Henrik & Benjamin, his mom, his stepdad, stepbrother & myself) all went to see the last Harry Potter movie in theatres. I thought it was really good and definitely recommend to go see, if you are a fan :)

Friday night me and the boys (Anders and a few of his friends) went out in Oslo to one of their favorite spots--Fugazi. It's a pretty cool nightclub, that makes you kind of feel like you are in a back alley and usually the roof is opened up, but wasn't that night. We stayed out until around 3:30am and took a taxi home. By the time we made it home, a little after 4am, the sun was out!! It's very expensive to go out in Oslo, so it definitely won't be an every weekend thing. Between the 2 of us (Anders & I) we spent approximately $150.. it's pretty outrageous. It was worth it though! Some bars/clubs in the Oslo have age limits though (a preference on the clientele allowed in) and I was rejected at one, because I wasn't over 24--so you must be aware of where you decide to go, because you may not be able to get in everywhere!!


Inside Fugazi.



Yesterday we went to a beach, nearby in Sandvika, on an island called Kalvøya. The weather was really nice, so we stayed there for a few hours. We didn't do much after that.. I did my homework, we had dinner, I went to the gym late and then we caught up on some True Blood episodes that we've missed! Today is going to be a lazy day.. not going to Sweden anymore, but we will have a chance to go in a couple weekends when we go to a friend's cabin, which is near the border. We've been watching a lot of Tour de France, so if that's on we'll be watching that and also we'll be watching our favorite soccer team, Vålerenga, tonight on TV. Sports were always a big part of my life growing up, but I never really ever got into a professional sports' team (besides the Boston teams occassionally), but I'm finding that I enjoy watching and going to the Vålerenga games now.


The beach on Kalvøya.

This week will be my 4th week of Norwegian class--I can't believe it!! Time is flying by.. I still haven't figured out any more on the Visa stuff and finding a job though, but will continue to look into it this week. Next weekend is my big hiking trip to Besseggen! I'm really excited for it.. and will need to go on a couple hikes this week to get ready for it. My ACL knee brace has FINALLY been approved by my insurance companies, so my mom sent it to me and it should arrive by Friday at the latest, just in time for the trip! I still don't know anybody elso who is going on it, but I'm sure that I will find someone to hang out with.. regardless though, I'm looking forward to it though. Anders and some of his friends haven't even been there so now I, the American, can be their tour guides when they do, ha ha ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment