Thursday, October 6, 2011

Patience is a virtue... literally.

I'm on "høst ferien" this week, which means that I'm on vacation! Schools all over Norway get a week off in the fall from school, and since I'm attending Norwegian courses that means me too. I don't know if I was dreading having an entire week off, because I seem to already have enough free time on my hands when I am attending classes, so I wasn't quite sure that I was looking forward to having even MORE free time. BUT, I've had a change of heart. I've actually been quite productive this week so far, plus it's been nice to sleep in every day too, not going to lie! ;) The fall weather has been proving to still be beautiful and I have enjoyed some long walks around Rykkinn by myself and with friends. Today I am going into Oslo to walk around and have lunch with a friend! It'll be nice to get out of the house. On Sunday Anders, myself and some friends may be going paintballing, but I'm not 100% sure on that yet... I also don't know how I feel about it, ha ha.

I've also started putting together a binder of Norwegian grammar: including new words and verbs that I've learned from my classes. It's pretty bulky, but I plan to get some pretty good use out of it, once I actually start studying it... the next exam that I will take (depending on whether I'm ready or not) is in February, so even though it's over 4 months away, I need all the time I can get! I had a meeting with my teacher last week at school and she said that she is very impressed with my reading and writing skills; she says they are beyond a level that I'm supposed to be at from only taking Norwegian courses for barely 4 months. My speaking, and oral presentation, on the other hand isn't quite up to the same level... but that really just comes in time and comfortability. She said that I understand and have soaked up A LOT of Norwegian and she's just waiting for the day that all of it will just "spill over the edge" and I just start talking in Norwegian, not caring whether every other word that comes out of my mouth is correct or not. I look forward to that day too, but my problem is that I need to start speaking MORE Norwegian... everybody keeps telling me this and I know they're right. I just have to start DOING IT. I really don't know what's stopping me. I've got nothing to lose, but so much to gain!

I've also been starting to pack some things in the house and getting ready for the big move!! I can't believe in just a week and a half now Anders and I will be getting the keys to our new apartment! I am beyond excited... we still have a lot more things to get for the apartment, but we have been very appreciative of all the things that have already been given to us. We have most big things such as: a bed, couches and other large furniture, but we will need to get a kitchen table and a washing machine ASAP. We also need some essential kitchen things like pots and pans, but other than that we will accumulate more stuff over time when we have more money. I cannot wait to start decorating and making the place as our own :) We're having a house warming party at the end of October with some of our friends at our new place for Halloween! Of course Halloween is not a Norwegian holiday, but our friends are excited about the idea so it's going to be a lot of fun!! I can't wait.


Some pottery we picked up at a 2nd-hand store yesterday for very cheap!

Other news... haven't heard back yet from the outdoor job that I applied for, BUT Gustav's mother (my roommate from last year at NEC with Anders) runs her own flower boutique in Oslo, and when I was over for dinner over last weekend she mentioned to me that she was thinking that I could be a nice addition to her business!! She's on a holiday this week, but when she returns she said that she'll be in touch... so we'll see how that goes! I think it would be fun, and it's a job, so I hope she agrees. I will have to wait until I get the decision back on my visa though, regardless, which is unpredictable. They said it could take up to 2 months, but sometimes it may take longer... you just never know. I just hope that I can get it by the end of the month. I have my fingers crossed; I've done enough waiting, but I'm willing to still be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment