Monday, September 26, 2011

Good things come to those who wait~

Hmmm, let's see... I haven't been up to too much since last time I wrote. Still plugging away at learning Norwegian and trying to find a job. At the beginning of last week I applied for a position in The Norwegian Trekking Association, which is Norway's biggest outdoor organization. Not only do they offer guided tours all over the country, but they also are caretakers for of trails and cabins all over the country as well. The position was to be a consulant within the association under the area of youth and outdoor recreation, which are two things that I am passionate about! I believe that I have a decent amount of experience, especially working with kids, and have the education and qualifications for it. The deadline for the application is October 1st, so I hope to hear back shortly after that date on whether I was considered for the position or not. All I received so far was an e-mail stating that my application was received and that they might get back to me after the application deadline. I wonder whether my age, or that I don't speak fluent Norwegian yet will affect my chances, but I'm trying to stay positive, and patient. All I can really do. I am still waiting for my visa/temporary residence permit to come in as well, because I can't start working without it. I hope that before October is over I will have it.

Other than that, becoming anxious about moving into our own apartment, nothing else really is new over here! I did meet a couple new friends though :) They are sisters, Raya and Farah and are from Palastine/Dubai. They have been living in Norway with their parents for a couple years now and will become Norwegian residents soon. The oldest, Raya (she's 20), comes to my Norwegian class once a week, which is how we met. She speaks perfect English and we found that we have a lot in common. I found out that she also lives in Rykkinn, only a 5 minute walk from where we're living now! I slept over her house over the weekend and was introduced to some homemade Arabic cooking, which is quite delicious! I had a lot of fun. We had a day off from school today so I took them hiking up Solfjellstua, the hiking trail at the top of Rykkinn. They never grew up in the Middle East doing such things, so I wasn't sure what they would think of it, but they ended up enjoying themselves!! The weather wasn't that great, couldn't see anything at the top with all the fog, but it was a good trip. I think they think that I'm a little crazy about nature, hiking and working out though haha. They called me their own personal trainer... made me laugh.


Raya and Farah at the top!

Besides the fog today, we have been REALLY lucky lately with the nice, fall weather. The leaves are beginning to fall and change colors and during the days it is sunny, with a slight breeze. It has gotten pretty chilly though these days, especially first thing in the morning and at night. When I walk to the bus each morning to go to school I can usually see my breath. It only gets worse from here I was told... but thank God I grew up in NH, so I'm pretty prepared for it and don't really mind it.


Horses which tend to graze behind my school... I pet one of them the other day ;)


A beautiful fall day (behind my school).

Pretty soon I will begin to apply to Universitet i Oslo for the Special Needs Education program, which is entirely in English. The application opens up the 1st of October and then I have until the 1st of December to have everything in. It is the only program that I'm applying for and the only school as well. There aren't many English Masters programs here and especially in what I'm interested in. I found out that they only accept 15 international applicants into the program, so it could mean that that either the program is super competitive, or just not many international students apply for the program in the first place.

These next couple months are going to be interesting and I am going to have to excercise a lot of patience... I just hope that everything will work out and as soon as possible! But, for right now I am just trying to keep busy and having fun! Went to a "fotball" game last night and the atmosphere was so exciting! Flags were waving and red flares were burning. I think I'm starting to become a fan...


VĂ¥lerenga game last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment