Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Life Lesson: always be grateful.

Today is my 100th post, which I think is pretty cool. These days I have been kept very busy and probably worrying a little bit too much about things that I can't control... Although, that seems to be a human instinct, right? Not only did my weeks grow longer with longer hours of Norwegian class, but my hours at work decreased. I went from working 20 hours to under 10, which has been a huge hit to the amount of money that Anders and I were hoping to save and put towards other things; such as flying back to the US for my sister's wedding. The hours that I have been given every week will pay just for my student loans, and nothing else. This means that we are going to be VERY tight on money these next few months and must be very careful where we spend money. We've created a budget that will hopefully help us keep track of our spendings and all of our bills and we'll have to save wherever we can! I've also been researching flight information which hasn't been helping my cause, because the summer months, especially July through the middle of August, are the most expensive months of the year to travel! I couldn't find a ticket from Oslo to Boston for under $950... ouch. But, in the midst of stress I need to also remember to be grateful of the things that I have, because things could be worse. I believe that experiences like this only make you stronger. Just hoping that it will all blow over by the end of the summer.

So as I mentioned before, I started my new Norwegian class the day after I got back. Now we are almost through the 2nd full week of class. I'm loving it!!! Although it's longer hours every day (8:30am-1:50pm, Mon - Fri), I am learning faster than I did before! My new teachers are very impressed with me and see good things for my future here in Norway, which is definitely something to be happy about. The 2nd and 3rd week of February I'll be 'working' full-time in an outdoor kindergarten that I found near where we live called Domvokteren barnehagen. It's only a 10 minute subway trip + a 5 minute walk away... I have a meeting there with my teacher next Friday to discuss my contract with them for the next 5 months. I'm really looking forward to the experience. Who knows, I may even be able to get a full-time job out of it in the end, so I have to remain as positive as I can, because things will start to look up again...

Anders got me cross country skiis for Christmas! I knew it ;) We went out for our first trip last Sunday, and it was interesting... I was really uneasy in the start of course, because it was the first time in my entire life with a pair of skiis on my feet! I started to get the hang of it toward the end of our trip. I actually kind of enjoyed it, just not when we had to go down hills, even as little as they were, ha ha. I fell a few times, but all went well. I was pretty cautious, because of my knee. It was the first time I've done something pretty active besides working out since I tore my ACL in November 2010. I wasn't wearing my brace this trip, but think that I will put it on next time, to give me a little more confidence. We have a decent amount of snow now, so Anders and I will probably go again this weekend. I'm turning into a true Norwegian now!

No comments:

Post a Comment