Thursday, January 5, 2012

my 2 week vacation is over

Sorry that I don't write as often anymore, but the 2 weeks that I was visiting in the US for the holidays went a lot faster than I thought... now as I write, I am sitting on my couch in my apartment here in Oslo! I flew in yesterday early afternoon and it was an even longer journey than return trip back. I'm sure you can imagine what a 15+ hour trip can do to somebody, especially not being able to sleep on the plane and pretty much missing an entire night of sleep. I fell asleep right when I got back to my apartment, but was surprised that I actually unpacked and cleaned the apartment until I fell asleep the second time, but then I had to wake up bright and early this morning to attend my first day of my new class!

My vacation was everything I could have hoped for and more. I was all over the place and didn't really relax so much, ha ha. I don't think that everytime that I come home I will be able to do all that I did. I was up pretty early every day (mostly because of the sun rising so early) and majority of the days had I plans with people from breakfast until bedtime. One of my favorite parts was having the sun rise a little after 6am, something that I definitely had been missing here in Norway, because ever since the start of winter our days have become very short. The sun doesn't seem to rise until around 10am, if it decides to come up at all. Most days it is cloudy and not very bright outside at all! It's pretty depressing. Why do I live here again, I ask myself... (just kidding). Anyways, so while I was home I was able to see over a dozen different people, not even including members of my own family. It was awesome! I was very gracious for my mother to let me borrow her car, but I will need to figure out another solution for the next time that come back, which will be in August for my sister's wedding. I might need to look into renting a car, even though it's going to be expensive, because not only am I not 25, but I don't have insurance anymore either. Anders will be with me this summer as well, so we might not have a choice, but to rent. It'll be the summer and we'll obviously want to go the beach, etc.

Here are some pictures I took while I was home:

Missed these guys!

My puppies

Nikki & I in downtown Concord

Our house lit up

Our Christmas tree

Girl cousins on my Dad's side

Last dinner home = sushi!

My bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding

My best friends in the entire world

Dressed up for New Years Eve :)

While I was home I was able to go to Loon Mountain with my best friends as well as spend New Years Eve in Boston, which was LOTS of fun. I also was able to visit family in Mass. as well. I did a little bit more traveling than I had though, but I wouldn't have changed it if I could! I also got to spend a lot of time at home, of course, with my pets and family. The weather was gorgeous while I was home. Pretty much no snow at all, except some flurries on Christmas day! The one thiing I wish I had done while I was home was not eat so much, ha ha! I seriously gained like 5 lbs. being home and didn't work out... I'm going to go work out tonight for the first time in a while and I'm probably going to be sore tomorrow morning, but it will be worth it. One of my New Years Resolutions is to dedicate time at 4-5 days a week to go the gym. I always feel great after working out, so I hope I can stick with it! Anders is getting my cross country skiis (late Christmas gift), so I'm super excited to learn. I can't snowboard this winter, because my knee still isn't 100%, so it'll be fun to learn a new sport and be able to go out on the trails on the weekends!

Our apartment is starting to finally really looking 'put-together'. We are filling out the space and have been decorating, especially with the help of Christmas gifts from our friends and family. It's my new home now :)

So I had my first class today of my new course and I already like the teachers (we have 2) and the only 5 or so other girls in my class. It's a pretty sweet deal... I think that I am going to learn A LOT! I have class now from 8:30am-1:50pm Monday-Friday, so almost 28 hours of Norwegian class a week! It's going to be a lot, but I'll have to make sure that I take good care of myself and get a lot of sleep. Middle of February I will then work (for free) for 2 weeks in a kindergarten that my teachers will find for me. I will work an average work day for 2 weeks so that I can really become engulfed in the environment and see what it will be like to finally work with Norwegian children. It's definitely not going to be easy at times, but it'll be good for me and who knows, maybe I'll be able to even find a full-time job out of it! Either way, I'm going to hang in there... I'm also going to still pick up shifts every week at Mester Grønn, whenever I'm put on the schedule. I may only be able to work 10-15 hours a week, some weeks, but I just gotta take what I can get, be positive, and smart with my money. Anders is obviously still paying for the majority of bills, but as long as I can pay for my school payments and student loans, it's definitely going to be a big help for now. I have to be thankful for what I have. Plus, I'd be really surprised after all the hard work I've been doing if it doesn't pay off after this is all over...

No comments:

Post a Comment