Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Good Morning Viet Nam!

Ok, so it's been a few days.  I hope you're all ready for this... I have like 5 days to talk about haha, but I’ll keep it short and sweet this time… I ended up doing a lot more journaling this time around, but no worries, I didn’t forget you guys!! Just have been super busy!

Day 1: Ho Chi Minh

I went to the Cu Chi tunnels, which is like an hour and a half drive out of the city of Ho Chi Minh. First off I can't even begin to describe the chaos on the streets here... there are so many motorbikes/scooters, whatever you wanna call them, it's RIDICULOUS!!! They say that a Vietnamese isn't a true Vietnamese if he or she doesn't own one. I'm gonna try to put up a video of me riding on one of the back of these things... anyways, so I went to the tunnels and it was a really neat experience.  If you didn't know, these tunnels were made and used by the Viet Cong during the Viet Nam war.  They lived there and used them as secret passages to sneak up on the enemy... I got to actually crawl through some of these things and they are not very spacious haha just big enough for a Vietnamese to squeeze through comfortably I guess, but I managed to crawl through them! Lol so I got really dirty that day and it didn't help that it was ridiculously humid, so everyone was absolutely disgusting by the end of the tour haha.  Got back later in the afternoon then went to the big market then hit the sack early!

 


Day 2: Nha Trang

So I had to meet my group at 3:45am to head to Nha Trang, true story... rough. It was only like a 45min flight to get there and once we got there we had a full day planned out for us.  Btw, Nha Trang was a beach paradise... it was better than I had ever envisioned it to be!  Our hotel was conveniently located right across the street from the beach... nice huh? Haha, it was just awesome no doubt about it.  We got to visit this Buddhist monastery, the large white Buddha, the Cham Towers, Chong Rock and got to have a traditional Vietnamese meal for lunch.  All the places where we stopped had amazing views of the city and the bay! After that we had free time so we all headed right to the beach of course where we went swimming and got massages right in the sand!  It doesn’t get much better than that… had another Vietnamese meal for dinner that night, which I unfortunately got sick from… I took it easy for the rest of the night and just chilled on the beach before I went to bed.

Day 3: Nha Trang

This whole day consisted of going out on a boat where we anchored off this island where we got to jump off the top of the boat into the water, swim, snorkel and just relax.  I got a lot of color that day… it was awesome! On our way back to the mainland we stopped at this little touristy village place where we got to eat lunch under a bamboo cabana.  I didn’t eat much though because my stomach still hurt a little from the night before, but thankfully I ended up finding pizza later that night, which I desperately needed, just anything American pretty much lol.  Went swimming in the pool at our hotel later and ended up crashing early.  I needed the sleep for sure… the heat was really starting to take its toll on me.

Day 4: Nha Trang

OMG I can’t believe I forgot to mention our tour guide, Liem.  This crazy Vietnamese dude… he was a lot of fun and a really good tour guide!! He was crazy though hahaha. So the last day in Nha Trang a small group of us went to Orchid Island where we got to ride on an ostrich and get picked up by an elephant!!! No lie… it was an experience for sure and this island was so unbelievably beautiful… I didn’t want to leave lol!! We got back to Ho Chi Minh around 5pm and I went back to the market to browse around and went out later.  It was a great night!!! A lot of fun… a ton of SASers where at this one bar/club, which we pretty much just took over, it was great!

Day 5: Ho Chi Minh

Today was a great day!!! Martin and I ventured around Ho Chi Minh and got really good massages… mine was only $10 for a full-body for 60min! Also got a pedicure which was only $5 haha! So cheap, everything here though is dirt cheap. We went to this really nice restaurant for lunch which was packed with Westerners and good food. Explored the market one last time and now I’m here, back on the ship because we leave really early in the morning for India!  And unfortunately this time though I won’t be able to put up pictures because the wifi I tried using next to the ship was pretty shitty… and since there were so many of us trying to get online, it was SO slow! We have about an 8 day stretch to India too… but I’ll try to put up pictures then I hope!

A few updates from the ship:  my cabin is a disaster, number 1 lol!!! It needs to be cleaned ASAP! My stuff and Molly’s is just all over the place and we’re both in disparate need of laundry too which still isn’t going to happen for another 4 days… FML.  Also got a lot of work to catch up on and gonna start hitting up the gym again and working out!

On Mar. 4th we’re having another one of those dances on the ship, this time’s theme is “middle school dance” LOL it’s gonna be a riot! On Mar. 5th our floor is having a slumber party outside on deck 7 and on Mar. 7th we have the sea Olympics!!! So pumped! The purple people eaters are gonna dominate! Woop woop!!

No comments:

Post a Comment