Thursday, March 4, 2010

India bound!

Alright, so we’re gonna be arriving in Chennai, India on March 11th, which means 6 days to go! I’ve been trying to get back into a routine being back on the ship like working out again, which I’ve been doing and focusing on school work… being back on the ship also means quality tanning time everyday too haha, I love it! AND we’re FINALLY getting laundry the day after tomorrow, Hallelujah!! This picture is all the damn laundry I’ve been stacking up for the last month… ridiculous, it just devours our floor haha! The laundry service on this ship has been out of control, I know I’ve probably been bitching about it in like every post, but it’s outrageous lol.  I had to buy more underwear and socks from the store we have on the ship, because I ran out, no joke.  Been having to be very conservative of the clothes I wear and even washing some from time to time in our bathroom sink.

 

So here’s what I’m planning on doing in India, that I know of so far…

1st day: Before I leave the ship I’ll be listening in on a discussion about traditional healing and contemporary practice of mental health, conducted by 2 professors from India and a group of students, which we’ll be able to interact with.  This is an FDP for my Identity Development Psychology class and should be interesting.  In the afternoon I’ll be going on a service visit to the Missionaries of Charity Orphanage which counts for an FDP for my Environmental Ethics class.  Mother Teresa founded this, which is really cool and it should be an interesting, eye-opening experience.  We get to interact with these kids that live there which majority suffer from birth defects or mental retardation and were abandoned on the streets of Chennai or left on the orphanage’s doorstep.

2nd-4th day: Not sure my exact plans yet, but me and a couple friends are going to catch a train somewhere, instead of boarding the ship to be stuck on it for a few days as they travel to the next port Cochin.  This way we can have a few more days to experience what India has to offer! I’m sure whatever we plan on doing will be good!!

5th day: I’m going to the SOS Children’s Village in the afternoon which has provided homes to around 182 needy children in Aluva, India. There are SOS Children’s Villages in more than 106 other countries as well and provide homes for over 50,000 needy children! We get to interact with the kids after they put on a performance for us… it should be a rewarding experience.

6th day: I’ll be going to the famous Alleppey backwaters of India which are comprised of narrow mazes of canals which are surrounded by coconut plantations and villages.  It’s considered to be the “Venice of the East.” 

 

I think that India is going to be a completely different experience than the countries that we’ve already gone to.  It’s going to be more eye-opening more than anything I think, especially because of its extreme levels of poverty.  In the countries that we’ve been to so far we’ve experienced begging from people off the streets, but minimal.  In India it’s going to be 100x worse we’ve been told and it’s going to be very overwhelming for most… it’s definitely going to be an experience all in itself just walking down the street.  I hope I’ll be able to handle it… it’s gonna be devastating to see how these people live and having children coming up to me, begging.  I just hope I’ll be strong enough to walk away and not let it emotionally get to me.  Also customs in India are very different than the other Asian countries we’ve visited and we’ll (women on the ship) will have to wear pants that reach below the knees and shirts that cover our shoulders… plus it’s going to be hotter than hot, so I’m not really looking forward to that, but it’s their culture and I have to respect it.

 

There are a lot of events coming up on the ship which I’m pretty sure I’ve already brushed-up upon, but the Sea Olympics are this Sunday, I’m pretty excited for them! It should just be an overall really fun day!! Tomorrow our sea is having a slumber party outside on the 7th deck which should be fun too, I’ve been wanting to sleep outside on the ship, but haven’t done it yet, so here will be my chance!! Looking forward to seeing a good sunrise hopefully…

 

QUESTION: If any of you know the answer to this question PLEASE leave a comment or e-mail me (hndinapoli@semesteratsea.net) because I’m really curious… so what are the hit songs that are out now? Movies? Or anything else that’s new that I should know about? Haha I feel SO out of the loop on this trip and I feel like when I come home I’m gonna be overwhelmed with all the stuff I missed! So a little head’s up would be nice :)

 

AHA<3 2 more months baby!! Miss you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment