On the ship at lasttt. Different shuttles from San Diego bused all 500+ students down to Ensenada, Mexico where we met our ship yesterday afternoon. I was on the second batch of shuttles so the ship was pretty empty, but I got to get my stuff situated in my cabin and waited all day, ANXIOUSLY to meet my roommate, who I absolutely love!!! Here name is Molly and she's from Chicago, but goes to school at the University of Wisconsin. We clicked instantly, having pretty much the same personalities, so I'm looking forward to a fun 3.5 months living with her :)
Yesterday was pretty overwhelming and saying goodbye to my Dad in San Diego and getting on that bus not knowing anybody whatsoever was a little nerve racking. The girl I sat next to on the bus was very friendly and nice, and actually lives in NH and goes to UNH!! Everybody I met yesterday was friendly and nice, which was a relief, but we were all in the same positions... generally not knowing anybody signing up for this experience. On the bus ride down up until I boarded the ship I met tonsss of interesting and exciting people, some of who I made networking connections with, which was pretty cool!!! Definitely a small world.
The port where we met our ship was breathtaking! Once we boarded the ship we got to hang out, explore and get situated into our cabins. Once we left port around dinner time, it finally hit me. I'm going to travel around the world... omg. Watching the ship slowly move farther away from shore was one of the most exciting things I have ever experienced! When we started moving though, we realized that it would take some time before we all would get our "sea legs." You can barely walk in a straight line and if you aren't cautious, or holding onto a ramp, you most likely will tumble down the hallway. The boat seems to be moving pretty fast and we've actually run into some rough waters ever since we left shore, because apparently there's a storm heading to California. LUCKY US!! It was definitely an interesting night that's for sure... the rocking of the boat did a lot of damage to those who get easily sea sick, but to those who don't it rocked them to sleep like babies. Sitting on my bed now in the cabin, writing this entry, I'm swaying slightly back and forth, but it doesn't seem to bother me. If anything it's been making me extra sleepy, as I realized when having to sit through hours of lectures ever since we got on board. I did wake up a couple times though in the night, a little freaked out, but I think I'll get used to it fast.
Today was filled with more lectures, but I had some time to check out the gym which was... interesting, haha. I think I'll be sticking to the elliptical, because if you can imagine, working out on a ship isn't the most stable of things to do in the world!!! lol I'm starting to form some close friendships with people I've met, so I'm pretty excited to what else is in store for us. I've already started making traveling plans with friends and cannot wait to adventure when we port. We arrive in Hawaii on the 25th, so 'til then I'll be taking classes, which start tomorrow actually!!! More on that tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment